Re: Re:CULT: Leaf Spot

Neil, I thoroughly agree with you. I use a propane burner with a wheeled tank, too, and it also gets rid of iris borer eggs. Allan Ensminger (probably the first hybridizer specializing in variegated flowers) had many acres in irises and burned with a kerosene weed burner every spring. He never had borers.

Jim Ennenga

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
To: "Iris-talk" <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 11:48 PM
Subject: [iris] Re:CULT: Leaf Spot

Anner, I find what you, Donald and Char Holte have said about cropping the
foliage back, or having the problem come in, apparently, from a particular
source is very interesting.

I've not run into the present degree of infection from leaf ills before, but
with the rainfall patterns of the last two years I have a lot of leaf
infections in the newer beds (as in Donald's experience) and little or none in
more established ones. Until I read Donald's post, I hadn't given the
contrast much thought. I appreciate your remarks, Donald.

Since we're running in the sixties daytimes now and into the seventies
forecast for later this week I am concerned about out of season softening and
activation of the plants. I'm reluctant to crop foliage closely now with a
potential of quite cold weather within a couple weeks. The risk of loss of
the bloom stalks would seem to be aggravated if I were to crop closely now.

I'd like to burn--as in Idaho this was very effective for control, especially
when followed by the oil emulsion spray, although rather hard on wooden
markers. I'm using window blinds (PVC) now, and that would be even worse. My
available alternative is scissors and discard of the diseased foliage.

Burning did much the same thing as a close shearing of the foliage, and did
destroy a few bloomstalks, I supposed, but only a few. A propane tank on
wheels with a torch attachment was hooked on to a small orchard tractor and
could reach most of the plantings--and the evergreens. Care had to be
exercised which direction one fired the flame! The burn was short, hot and
effective and didn't harm healthy irises at all.

There's some advantage to growing bearded irises in semi-desert country where
irrigation water is both cheap and plentiful. I never knew how good I had

Incidentally, Anner--I find your "Cordially" most gracious and I must say--it
warms my heart. Thank you!

Neil Mogensen z 7 western NC lush mountain woodlands with rocks galore, right
along with wild life of both human and four-footed sorts. (bite my