Re:CULT: Leaf Spot

randall83641@velocitus.net writes:

<< Cute story Anner. Amazing what might have been considered expert
 in 1927 regarding borer control. >>

My impression is we know very little more about the borer and its control now
then we did then, other than to know that its territory has expanded
dramatically since she wrote, and chemicals, regardless of how carcinogenic, have been
remarkably ineffective overall. I'll go so far as to say I think we have
failed to follow up on some useful observations made at the time, notably some
made by Grace Sturtevant, who, in addition to being the first truly great Iris
hybridizer in America, was a trained botanical illustrator, and the daughter of
a plant scientist who ran a state Experiment Station.  A search of the
Archives will bring up some previous discussions of this matter, including some
references to scientific work done at Cornell.

Mrs.McKinney was considered one of the pre-eminent Iris experts of the day,
of course. In her time she was a Director of AIS, a hybridizer, and an Editor
of the AIS Bulletin. John C.Wister said her Iris garden was one of the
loveliest, if not the loveliest of the day, and that was saying something since her
day also included the famous Iris Bowl of Mary Helen Wingate Lloyd, about which
I have published a long article which may be found on the HIPS page.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. There were also posts about burning over
Iris beds, one of which I contributed.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA