Re: Re: HYB: seedlings

In a message dated 1/7/2005 7:18:14 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

Betty W  has posted that her fall germinated seedlings
don't make it thru the winter  outdoors.

What works for me, in my climate, may not work for people with  different

Under normal conditions, I NEVER get fall sprouts!  My situation  does not
allow me to deal with them successfully.  I make a deliberate and  conscious
effort to eliminate the chance of fall sprouts.
I fill mum pots sometime in October and let the soil settle with time and
normal rains.  I plant between Thanksgiving and Christmas, after the  weather
and the soil have settled into cooler patterns.  It works for  me.

Only ONCE in 20 years have I had seedlings sprout from newly planted  seed.
A year or so ago we were having a discussion about fall  crosses that were
planted immediately.  I think this must be the post Linda  is referencing.  That
was a fall cross of Corn Harvest and Feed Back that I  deliberately planted
The seed did sprout and were winter killed.  Hardly a scientific  study!
This was an unusual situation and should NOT be considered a  definitive
Currently, I have sprouts in 2nd year pots.  I can't  protect these second
year plants.  During mild winters, these 2nd  year seedlings will survive and be
ready to plant out the 2nd year.  During  bad winters, these 2nd year
seedling often do not survive.
I made plans this year to put pots in a cold frame when the weather got  bad,
but the cold frame didn't survive the tremendous winds I get here. I'm  not
going to spend the winter trying to keep it pieced together!  It  definitely
was not worth the price.
Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: