Re: HYB: Transplanting seedlings

I've had this experience too.  I didn't worry about it the first time it
happened, assuming those were rot prone and I didn't want them anyway.
After losing what I thought were too many from crosses that shouldn't
have been particularly rot prone, I made some changes.

Now I transplant into a mix of sand and potting mix (the light fluffy
stuff like ProMix), water in with Rootbooster (?) (one of those hormone
concoctions for transplants), dust with crushed limestone, then avoid
watering with Miracle Gro until after they have clearly settled in and
are growing well again.  Some still rot out, but seem to be more in
proportion to expected rot susceptibility of pedigrees.

I am trying to select for disease resistance, so am not treating with
fungicide/bacteriacide, another possibility.

<it looked like they were rotting at the soil level.  Most of them died.
OUCH!  The ones that I did not transplant    are doing fine.  Please
advise so this doesn't happen again.  Sdlgs are too precious to lose
like this.
Chuck Bunnell  Lafayette, IN (Ice-covered and beautiful) Region 6   Zone

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8