Re: Re:Cult: Transplanting seedlings

In a message dated 1/7/2005 10:31:00 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jgcrump@erols.com writes:

am still  planting seeds as
little as 1/4" apart with no ill  effects.
Early on, I planted all the seed from one cross in one pot!  Oh, what  a
headache!  That was the year I had great germination!  If you can  imagine trying
to untangle the roots on 100+ seedlings!  Over 2 dozen pots  like that!  A
regional hybridizer had recommended using a 5 gallon bucket  of water and
separating the seedlings under water!  It helped, but I  learned a good lesson that
year.  Don't put all your eggs (seed) in one  basket!!!

Now, I typically plant an average of 25 seed in one mum pot.  I've  tried all
types of spacing but have settled on dumping all 25 right in  the middle!
I've not had any trouble with this number and any left over  seed stay in the
pot instead of floating around in a bucket full of water.   <bg>

I use mum pots because it's what the local nursery was willing to  sell them
for 10 cents each.  (20 years ago)  Now they want the  same price as new so I
buy new!

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
_www.thegardensite.com/irises/bridgeintime/_ (http://www.thegardensite