Re: Re:Cult: Transplanting seedlings

Ben Hager and Frank Jones both told me seeds should touch each other for best germination.

Jim Ennenga

----- Original Message ----- From: "jgcrump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: [iris] Re:Cult: Transplanting seedlings

Chuck -- I routinely planted as many as 25 seeds together in 5 3/4" x 3
1/4" 2-inch deep aluminum loaf pans for more than 15 years and never saw any
problems from crowding. In a year of excessive rainfall I did have a
disastrous loss through damping off, but am sure that the shallowness of the
containers was to blame. I have since gone over to much deeper containers
(because, as you indicate, once is enough!), but am still planting seeds as
little as 1/4" apart with no ill effects. I'm convinced it's the depth of
the container, which permits adequate drainage, that matters. -- Griff