Iris germination in fall

Good morning - Just getting caught up on my mail.  I plant bearded iris seed
in styro packing boxes with holes poked in them to provide good drainage.
Since they are quite deep, it allows for adequate root development.  Also I
suspect the styro provides a little insulation.  I plant the seeds on Thanksgiving
Day and never get germination before late February.  If there is a cold snap,
I give them a blanket of leaves which can be easily removed.  There receive no
other attention or coddling and I get about 40% germination, which is usually
way too much to handle anyway.  I have had fall germination of seeds from a
previous year and since I don't know whose their mama or papa, I don't protect
them and have never lost one.  This year I planted some LA seed for the first
time.  I planted them late last summer and to tell the truth, forgot all about
it.  About November I noticed iris seeds sprouting in a styro box and
thought, "What the heck?" until I remembered what I had done (I have got to start
documenting and labeling EVERYTHING).  They have done quite well through some
below 20 nights and below freezing days.
Barbara Null
Tyler, TX  7b/8a