Re: OT: weather

Colleen Modra <colleen@impressiveirises.com.au> wrote:

Have heard that the weather in the Western US states is not good, floods and
very heavy snow. I hope all our iris friends are OK.

Most of the storms off the Pacific have taken a southerly track as they have moved inland and have completely missed or only side-swiped northern Utah. That was supposed to be the case again this past weekend, but a predicted 2 to 6 inches of snow turned into 18 inches Saturday night and Sunday morning plus another 8 inches today and possibly as much again tomorrow. This is an inconvenience, but not a major problem, as we are fairly well equipped to deal with it. The major danger occurs in the back country, which receives ever increasing use from winter recreationists - two avalanche deaths reported so far from this latest storm plus a number of injuries and near misses.

A  favorable consequence is that one can at least rest assured that premature germination of iris seeds has become a distinctly remote probability.

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)