RE: HYB: Canadian Streaker

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:01:28 +0300
From: "Juri Pirogov" <jukp@aha.ru>
Subject: Re: [iris] RE: Cult : Varigated pokeweed.

Chuck,
You want to say CS is a result of roundup?

Juri

Yes. I certainly believe so. The bed it was in was overgrown with weeds and I didn't think any iris plants were left so it got a good dosage of round up. After the weeds died I found a couple of plants that had been hidden under the weeds. One of these was CS, which struggled for some time before regaining health.

Ensminger and Terry Aitken also expressed this idea in the Bulletin on variagated foliage.

I since have learned a bit more re the genetics of streaking. Only a brief relevent comment here. It is a two part inheritence. It seems to need the genes for it as well as the cytoplasmic information. Thus CS probably had the genes but not the cytoplasmic inheritence. The roundup disrupted the cytoplasm enabling the phenotype.

For more information go to the book "Essentials of Genetics" Krig and Cummings 1998

Chuck Chapman

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.