RE: HYB; anthocyanic vacuolar inclusions

This explains the black surface haze over the surface of the fall on many
ROMANTIC EVENING offspring.  AVI's in the epidermal extensions--or

One thing about that black haze is that it is ephemeral--it appears,
disappears, reappears as one changes in angle of view to the petal surface.

Dosage--definitely!  STARRING for example, or ROMANTIC EVENING itself--those
black falls are dense--overwhelmingly so--with the characteristic.  At the
other extreme, possibly, is TOUR DE FRANCE.

In Iris-photos, Margie Valenzuela's photo of TOUR DE FRANCE, a yellow amoena,
has a suggestion of this haze--just barely a suggestion--but Keith Keppel has
speculated the effect accounts for the intensity of the yellow color.

Aphylla---the comment in the abstract you included, Chuck, described the
globules or AE's or AVI's as a portion of the vacuolar anthocyanins and
flavones bound in a tight structure by a protein.  This makes wonderful sense
out of the black falls and lighter standards of even the darkest "blacks" and
also of the ROMANTIC EVENING effect.

I think you are on to something.  Now--just who has a 300 power microscope and
a lab with a microtome so that thin slices perpendicular to the petal surface
of an iris can be studied?  I would wager that what is seen in the
black-falled or black sheen'ed irises have these AVI or AE's.

Then--what would probably be inherited from *I. aphylla* would be perhaps both
a slightly different anthocyanin--maybe!--AND the protein binder around which
the AVI or AE is formed.  OR--perhaps the binder alone.

What a marvelous notion.......oh how I wish I had access to both the knowhow
and the lab!

Neil Mogensen  z  7 western NC mountains