Re: HYB: pigments - review of plant parts

After Neil's post, I decided I better go refresh my memory about cell
parts!  especially re: vacuoles vs cytoplasm vs plastids.

"Vacuole - Each plant cell has a large, single vacuole that stores
compounds [including anthocyanins], helps in  plant growth, and plays an
important structural role for the plant."

Both the plastids and the vacuole are self-contained parts located in
the cytoplasm.

I was thinking the anthocyanins were in the cytoplasm rather than in
vacuoles.  Apparently not...

Thought this discovery was a "new" place where pigments (AVI's) are
stored, & assumed they were fat soluble rather than water soluble, since
they were bound with flavonoids.

My vague recollections of solubility (polarity) of stuff in water vs oil
is that long chains with hydroxyl bits (like the anthocyanins) are water
soluble & organic ring structures are less likely to be soluble in
water.  Wonder why these AVI's are water soluble?  Folded around with
the polar bits on the outside of the flavonoids....?

Wonder what happens when trying to extract them...

Lots of nice diagrams of plant cells on the web in .edu sites.  Search
for <cell anatomy vacuole>.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8