Re:HYB: pigment Crazy For You

Oh rats - I was getting water soluble flavonoids mixed up with
carotenoids!  Not the molecules, just the names.  Drat...no wonder I was
so confused.... many apologies...

Anybody know of pigment extractions on 'rose' colored bearded irises,
either the diploids Dave mentions or others?

Chuck, do you think the "rose" color is due to the presence of
flavonoids plus a reddish tinted, violet anthocyanin?  Or just an
anthocyanin that looks rose in the petal?

After seeing the extracted bright red-orange pigment (lycopene) that
makes a flower look pink (!), I realize that the color of the pigment
may be surprisingly different from the color of the bloom.

 <So,  the anthocyanin pigment is any of the forms of delphinidin which
can have many shadings but all violet/purple, not too wide a range.
A lot of intensity diferences though.
There are also the flavanoids, which are water soluble and as I
discovered via kitchen chemistry, more common then previously thougt.
These are cream and light yellow and can really change the tone and  the
appearance of the cartenoid and the light shades of anthocyanins.

Chuck Chapman>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8