Re: HYB: Blue beards

DWiris@aol.com wrote:
I am away from home so can't look up records, but I think the blue/violet
beards may have come from violet pumilas. We got a lot of blue beards in SDBs
from Bee Warburton's SDB BLUEBERRY MUFFINS,
Dorothy Willott

An examination of the pedigree of STOCKHOLM (Warburton, 1972), a notable early blue-bearded yellow SDB, confirms what Dorothy has said and also suggests that the TB side of the ancestry could also have contributed to the anthocyanin pigmented beards.

The pedigree of STOCKHOLM is

sdlg 56IJ-2:(((Great Lakes x blue pumila) x (blue pumila x Spanish Peaks)) x Blueberry Muffins) X sdlg 57I4:(sdlg x Blueberry Muffins)

In turn the pedigree of BLUEBERRY MUFFINS (Warburton, 1963), greenish buff-tan blend with violet beards, is

(Black Forest x yellow pumila sdlg) X Red Dandy

and RED DANDY (Warburton, 1961) described as deep purplish red self with violet beards has the pedigree

Garden Flame X (red-violet pumila x unknown).

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)