Re: OT Seeking Ideas

In a message dated 1/13/2005 12:57:36 PM Central Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

>  We are hoping to make the St Louis Spring AIS Convention exciting and
> different. We are attempting a national flower show, and a poster session. I
> believe the people of iris talk may have some exciting ideas and with this post I
> am soliciting your input.

I will be impressed by a convention that offers the opportunity to see
irises, net friends I never met, and have a good time.

But, I would be EVER SO impressed if I had the above combined with an
EXCITING and DIFFERENT agenda. I would like to see your poster session address real
problems that concern all of us whether we admit it or not.

"Warm and fuzzy" is civil, but more so, poster presentations that address
real problems our organizations (nationally and locally) are facing would be more
appreciated by myself and by other candid and not so candid people I know.

I like data presented in graphs. AIS membership is an issue that grates on us
from the bottom up and from the top down.

I would like to see a time line across the bottom of a graph for the previous
4 decades. I would like the AIS membership plotted on the same graph and time
line.
I would like to see AIS board actions indicated on the graph that may have
influenced the membership levels either positively or negatively.

Perhaps for good measure, I would like to see the demographic for total U.S.
population between 45 and 80 years old (our target market) during that same
time period as a reference along with the dollars spent by the AIS each year.

If you can't do the above or even if you can, I would like to see another
poster.
I would call it a "switch board" as opposed to a "bitch board".

The AIS does this:                       The AIS should do this:
Bla bla bla                                       tra la la

I would offer Switch Board participants two pieces of paper the same color
and size. I would use multicolored paper and allow participants to post to the
switch board. Signing their name to what they say.

This could likely be the most viewed poster at the convention.

We can take this further. We can charge $0.25 to post to the switch board. We
can allow participants to vote on the ''best suggestion" and the poster of
the winning suggestion gets the quarters.

We could even have the "Switch Board" poster carried to the next convention.
If the AIS board had adopted none of the suggestions (which is unlikely) we
could have the poster name changed to "Switch Board Members".

No doubt some will think the above abusive of the board. It is not so
intended. Remember this started with the objective of addressing real problems. This
seems to be a non confrontational, fun way to achieve that objective and at
the same time let everyone know what is going on while having a say. We hired
the board to do this-- listen to us.

We could even micromanage a bit and run another "Switch Board" for AIS
bulletin improvements. That Filardi feller is always seekin' improvements.

Smiles,
Bill Burleson
I have my computer limping along now. Must data is lost forever