Re:HYB: pigment Crazy For You

The anthocyanins of 130 cultivars, 13 lines and 3 wild forms of Iris ensata
were analyzed by HPLC, and these plants were classified into 16 types of
major anthocyanins. Among these types, 8 types such as petunidin 3RGac5G -
delphinidin 3RGac5G, delphinidin 3RGac5G - petunidin 3RGac5G, cyanidin
3RGac5G - peonidin 3RGac5G, delphinidin 3RG - delphinidin 3RGac, petunidin
3RG5G - malvidin 3RG5G, malvidin 3RG5G - peonidin 3RG5G, peonidin 3RG5G -
cyanidin 3RG5G and peonidin 3RG - cyanidin 3RG were obtained as new types.
In these new types, peonidin 3RG - cyanidin 3RG and peonidin 3RG5G -
cyanidin 3RG5G types were noteworthy because cyanidin 3RG and cyanidin 3RG5G
are useful for the breeding of red flowers in I. ensata.

I had seen this article. A lot more pigments in beardless then in bearded, especially in Japanese. That's why I so carefully stated  "in Bearded iris". Also why I'll never try to work out genetics of Japanese iris. Bearded is tough enough. Thje last time this thourough a look at bearded iris was done was West 1974, and Vining 1973. HPLC has progessed increadably since then and  a new look may find some new surprises. I think the old studies were done with thin layer Chromatography which can easily distingush between the different families of anthocyanin but it may have some problems seperating delphinum-mono-rhanose from say delphinium-tri-hydroxal. Siberian, versicolous and pseudacorus have pretty much the same pigments as bearded.

The xanthophyls and  flavanoids havn't been studied as well as they should have been in bearded irisand I suspect they play a bigger role then we have pereviously thought. In the 1973 and 1974 studies there were a number of these that wer unidentified. I have extracted a number at least one light yellow favanoid  that shows up often in TB, often in conjuction with alpha-carotene and ssometimes on its own.

Chuck Chapman

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.