New to the list

Dear Reggie,

First, let me give you a hearty welcome.

On this list you will find an astounding range of topics discussed ranging all
the way from those a very basic begginer will find interesting to highly
technical stuff about pigments, genetics and such.  Please don't run and hide
when things start sailing over the top of your understanding or interest.
Stick around--and feel free to ask questions.

The bearded irises, at least the tall beardeds, meaning those taller than 27"
(for the moment I don't remember the metric equivalent, but both unit systems
are specified in the Handbook that has such information)--are the ones
referred to as "German Iris" some places in the trade.

That name is an historic accident.  We don't normally use it.  This list
covers that type and almost anything else including some other related genera
of plants, but focuses on Tall Bearded, plus Border, Intermediate, Table and
species types.  Even the dwarf irises come up.

There are a whole series of iris lists and robins.  Iris-photos is a companion
to this list which you would find interesting, I believe.  Its URL is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iris-photos/ for the home page.  Most of us
either get the e-mail version from Yahoo, OR--much better, simply go to the
archive version at Mallorn, the URL of which is
http://www.hort.net/lists//iris-photos/  .  Join at Yahoo, enjoy the list at
Mallorn.  Yahoo strips off the photos, so you cannot view them there.  The
photos stay put in the posts at Mallorn.

If you are interested in other types of iris, let us know and we will give you
a lot of information on where the other lists are found.

Again, Welcome!

Neil Mogensen  zone 7  western NC mountains near Asheville