AIS: Poster Session

In a message dated 1/13/05 1:57:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< For those who dont attend other types of conferences and conventions let
me briefly explain a poster session. Posters and or displays of ideas,
projects, or short papers are displayed with the presenter standing next to their
idea. Conventioneers are able to look at the poster, see the idea, and discus it
one on one with the presenter. Posters usually have a limited amount of text,
but pictures, charts or other graphics that support the idea.>>

If I maybe so bold, I suggest that one small thing the Region could do which
might make participation in this program wider would be to take care of
getting the actual poster board or foam core or whatever and some glue sticks for
any Poster Session Participants who inform them ahead of time that they will be
bringing a display.

Travel by air is now complicated, but most anyone could design their poster
at home within standard dimesions as specified by the Region, then bring the
poster components on flat paper in their luggage. Then, just prior to the
session participants would assemble, receive their sheets of posterboard or foamcore
or whatever you planned to use, and glue up their displays on the spot.

I assume some thought has been given to how you are going to actually display
the posters? Providing rental easels to participants or something? I doubt
the hotel is going to permit things to be taped to the walls. I guess there is
some established convention drill for this? Or does everyone bring their
display and support, too?

Large sheets of foamcore are pricey, but will stand up after a fashion if
propped against a wall. Or if there are tables available, which is the route I
would go, they can be shoved against a wall and the posters--maybe on those
ghastly but useful fold-out cardboard triptych thingies kids use for science
project displays, here obtainable at "crafts" stores-- could be put upon the tables
and the surface of the table in front of each used for more display or
pass-out literature or whatever.

Anyway, what I am suggesting is that participation in your project may be
larger if people coming from a distance are not expected to try to bring a
finished poster, and support, with them.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA