From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
To: "Iris-talk" <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 3:12 PM
Subject: [iris] OT: Plant cell biology

> Back in the early sixties I told the head of our local Biology department
at
> my undergrad alma mater I wanted to trace--or see traced--the sequence of
> events all the way from the DNA codes, which were just then filtering down
> our level, to the living organism.  He just laughed.
>
> "Neil," he said, "you were born about five hundred years too soon."

Neil, I don't even begin to understand most of this discussion but it
reminded me of an article I once read written by Rick Ernst. I've found and
reread it and still don't know. In layman's terms, does the work done by
Cooleys and OSU and the resulting patents on red iris figure in to this? Or
is that DNA testing different? Interesting but way over my head! The ideas
and discussion on this list are awesome and I feel lucky to even be able to
read the threads.

Sincerely,

Char in Idaho

Thanks.