CULT: mulch & till

My tall bearded irises are lined out in 'corn' rows, with rows spaced
far enough apart that I can till them with a cultivator on the back of a
farm tractor.  They haven't been tilled for about three years (various
excuses...).

I plan to experiment with either coarse sawdust or bark mulch from a
local mill between some of the rows this year.

Should I try to till before putting down the mulch or just mulch?

Or is this another grand opportunity to experiment?
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8