Re: HYB: Lycopene color(s)

Neil - that is what I meant when I said:
<are the vacuoles and their  pigments layered on "top" of the plastids
inside the cell>  You said "no" but then said the same thing.  By "top"
I meant between the viewers eye and the plastids, looking "down" on the
cell from above, not that the vacuole was attached to the plastids.

From earlier exchanges, as well as this one, I think you and I sometimes
mean different things by the word 'layered'.  I mean one physically on
top of or outside of the other, like a cake, or firewood, or clothes.

<From the illustrations I have seen of how cells are arranged, <some>of
the plastids are between the viewer's eye and the pigments in the
vacuole.  Others <may> be on the opposite (interior) side of   the

As for diluting the red-orange color that shows up in extracted
lycopene, similar to your easter-egg dye example, diluting it gives a
pale orange or yellow, not in the same color class as the pink of a
t-factor pink iris bloom.

Thinking of crayolas or paint, pink comes from a mix of red and white,
not a dilution of orange, or even red-orange.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8