Re: Re: HYB: pigments - red, carotene

Here's a thought, perhaps not original.  It is pulled together from other's
comments on this and related discussions.  Perhaps we already have a fairly
intense red, and just don't see it?

It was mentioned that something is making the petals white, even when the
colored pigments aren't there.  When the white pigments (was it
proto-anthocyanins?) are extracted, the petals become transparent like
glass.

Then it was mentioned that the pink in flowers like 'Pink Attraction'
extract as a "bright orange tomato red".

The extension of putting these two together is that the white factor may be
strong enough or positioned in such a way so as to dilute the "bright
orange tomato red" to pink (red + white = pink).  This white factor may be
absent or positioned differently in the beards, and may (??) be the reason
that beards are already getting very close to true red.  So, instead of
trying to intensify the red, perhaps it is a matter of getting rid of the
affects of the white?

Does the pigment in the pink flower change when it is extracted, or is it
the same color that is embedded in the flower?  I haven't been paying close
enough attention to the extraction discussions.  If it is chemically
unchanged, that is another argument for the above idea.

Gee I may have just given a fortune away (oh well)!

Dave