Re: HYB: Lycopene color(s)

... ok....seems to be some disagreement here (Chuck and Neil say 3
layers of cells, Robt says 4), but I've enjoyed the education.  The
diagrams of cell contents that I found on the web certainly didn't give
the same impression as your descriptions - limitations of 2 dimensional
schematics....

Thanks all.

My comment about pink isn't about the intensity of the color, it's that
pink isn't <any> intensity of orange.  So there is something going on
other than dilution or concentration of orange-red lycopene pigment or
addition or subtraction of orange or yellow pigments to get pink.

 What pigment would need to be between my eye and lycopene to filter out
the yellow to make it look red/pink?  Could the xanthophylls be doing
that, absorbing yellow reflected from lycopene?  Trying to comprehend
website explain light, absorption, reflectance..."red and green light
make yellow light".. makes my head hurt..  or maybe more of the shorter
wavelength yellow light reflected from lycopene is scattered by other
components in the cell letting just the red/pink show....

<The petals have three cell layers ...top and bottom epidermis ..
sandwiching a thick mesophyll layer>  Chuck Chapman

<... surface and one or two different structured cells below....the last
and fourth layer..
....The intensity of color...> Robt R Pries

<....Epidermal cells....The supporting   layer of parenchymal cells..an
epidermis on the OTHER side of the petal...>  Neil Mogensen

<..dilute the "bright orange tomato red" to pink (red + white = pink)..>
Dave Ferguson

Way too much time on the computer today, but it's <cold> outdoors again.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8