layers

Linda, you will notice Robert Pries says "one <or> two" in reference to the
supporting inner cell layer(s).  He is writing about the same thing Chuck and
I try to describe, but acknowledging the rather more complex reality than
Chuck's and my descriptions imply.

An analogy--Chuck and I are drawing a sketch or a cartoon for the sake of
simplicity.  Robert's description is approaching the level of a detailed
architectural drawing or even a photograph.

How detailed data do you want?  The range is nearly infinite for the degree of
accuracy and detail.

As to colors--may I suggest some digging into "Additive" vs. "Subtractive"
color mixes?  In viewing an iris blossom, because of the translucent nature of
the internal "white" layer(s), both types of color perception are involved.

The cause of the phenomena of the two types of color mixing is a result of how
our retinas receive and react to various wavelengths of light, and how that
information is sorted, transmitted, resorted just above our ears, but deep
inside the brain, then blended to give stereo, color images in the optical
cortex of the cerebrum in the back of our heads--from where the data is
referred to other areas for "signification"--recognition of familiar vs
unfamiliar, basic forms, meaningful learned images with verbal information,
memories, experiences attached from the processes that have to do with at
least three discrete types of memory, etc., ad nauseum.  The computer of the
"mind" is more complex than we can imagine.  I suspect even parts of it extend
on into dimensions not part of the familiar, basic set of four.  There is no
boundary I know of for the "Outer Limit."

Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains