Re: layers

 Hello Neil:

 Neil wrote:

> As to colors--may I suggest some digging into
> "Additive" vs. "Subtractive"
> color mixes?  In viewing an iris blossom, because of
> the translucent nature of
> the internal "white" layer(s), both types of color
> perception are involved.

 Neil when adding or subtracting colour inside of a
plants structure they don`t mix in the same way as
crayons on paper or light through water creates them.
I would think you would either have to find the colour
your looking for already hidden in the iris it self or
introduce it from an outside source. I`m saying if a
given colour isn`t already in the irises natural
pigmentation you woun`t create it in irises by cross
breeding colours through selection. This isn`t to say
the colours woun`t break up and mix and match to
create a patch or vain work or overlay of colour, that
they will do but I don`t believe they can intermingle
to create a colour base that doesn`t exist already.
Overlays however generally fade out quick and never
seem to produce a recessive or stable characteristic
for future breeding. They generally seem to come from
a dominant inhibitor gene from one cultivar when
crossed with a cultivar having a  dominant colour