Re: Re: HYB: Lycopene color(s)

Just a quick comment on pink.

If you dilute orange with white, you get what a lot of people still would
call pink.  It is a flesh color sort of thing.  A number of "pink" Iris
lean toward the orange (yellow) side of pink, and a bright orange-red
diluted by white would lead to a nice shell pink, close to what many see as
"true" pink.  To me, it looks like 'Pink Attraction' and many other of the
"true" pinks actually have a hint of yellow to them, and they seem to fit
well with the lightened orange-red idea to me, of course it depends on just
how orange.  In a few pink Iris I don't see any yellow, and those would be
interesting ones to work with.  While not modern in form, the best pink
color I know (of course I haven't grown that many pinks) is 'One Desire',
I can see no yellow there (except in the beard).  Some call it salmon pink,
but not in my yard.  It would be interesting to see the extractions from
'One Desire', perhaps there is something with the Lycopene that helps to
mask the yellowish cast?

I discovered 'One Desire' not long ago thanks to y'all on this forum.
Thanks again!  Might add that I got an imposter as 'One Desire' a couple of
years ago too (didn't keep track of which one from which nursery though).
It has the same form, but is a weaker decidedly orangey pink, and the
petals are translucent.  Not nearly so nice.  Now, back to the subject.

It is true that really true pink has no yellow in it, and it is purely red
and white mixed (that is red light and white light reflected together).
Whether a white and red pigment mixed will actually create a true pink is
not always predictable, sometimes there are other factors than just the
color that we see involved, and the combination isn't just a factor of
combining the visible colors (physical reflective qualities, chemical
reactions, etc. etc.). Of course I think I'm getting into things already
discussed here, so I'll stop there.

Not really the same subject, but related.  Lots of people see light purple
as pink too, and a light red-purple (magenta) is especially perceived as
such.  Iris enthusiasts are among the few plant enthusiasts that seem to
make the distinction.  Many "pink" flowers that come onto the market are
still decidedly purplish (= bluish), many I suspect because they haven't
been developed in true pink yet.

I remember being considered a very contrary little boy, when I argued with
a teacher in the library at school "that isn't pink, it is light purple".
I was holding the newly discovered book 'Pollywiggle' (not related to the
color debate) in my hands - funny what you remember sometimes.  Hope I'm
not giving the same contrary impression here!

Best wishes,