Re: OT:colors [was:Re: layers]

I had to throw this in, because I find it interesting, it is fun, but not
directly related to Iris (unless you photograph them in black and white).
It is somewhat related to the color topic that has been developing.  It
goes into the category of trivia.

I don't remember many details, but this is another peculiarity of color

First you photograph an image onto black and white film; you replicate the
photograph more than once using different colored filters for each image (I
forget which colors work best).  These images will all appear black and
white, and will look pretty similar (maybe slight differences in relative
lightness and darkness of certain parts of the image).  You can project the
images made with different filters together, or overlay them, and you will
see a colored image.  I don't think I've ever heard an explanation of this,
but I'm sure wavelengths of light and our perception of them come into
play.  I believe this is an old trick that was discovered before color
photographic films (papers) were developed.

I have not verified this, doubt it's true, but I've also heard that if you
do the same, but photograph a black and white image, it will bring the
colors "back".