Re: Re:HYB: pigment Crazy For You

Where was this article published?
Walter

Colleen Modra <colleen@impressiveirises.com.au> wrote:
Chuck

Thought you might be interested in this article I found this morning

New types of major anthocyanins detected in Japanese garden iris and its
wild forms

T. Yabuya
Division of Biotechnology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Miyazaki
University, Miyazaki 889-2192, Japan

T. Imayama
Division of Biotechnology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Miyazaki
University, Miyazaki 889-2192, Japan

T. Shimomura
Division of Biotechnology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Miyazaki
University, Miyazaki 889-2192, Japan

R. Urushihara
Division of Biotechnology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Miyazaki
University, Miyazaki 889-2192, Japan

M. Yamaguchi
Department of Food Science and Technology, Minami-Kyushu University,
Takanabe, Miyazaki 884-0003, Japan

Abstract

The anthocyanins of 130 cultivars, 13 lines and 3 wild forms of Iris ensata
were analyzed by HPLC, and these plants were classified into 16 types of
major anthocyanins. Among these types, 8 types such as petunidin 3RGac5G -
delphinidin 3RGac5G, delphinidin 3RGac5G - petunidin 3RGac5G, cyanidin
3RGac5G - peonidin 3RGac5G, delphinidin 3RG - delphinidin 3RGac, petunidin
3RG5G - malvidin 3RG5G, malvidin 3RG5G - peonidin 3RG5G, peonidin 3RG5G -
cyanidin 3RG5G and peonidin 3RG - cyanidin 3RG were obtained as new types.
In these new types, peonidin 3RG - cyanidin 3RG and peonidin 3RG5G -
cyanidin 3RG5G types were noteworthy because cyanidin 3RG and cyanidin 3RG5G
are useful for the breeding of red flowers in I. ensata.

Keywords
anthocyanins, cyanidin 3RG, cyanidin 3RG5G, flower color breeding, HPLC
analysis, Iris ensata

Article ID: 273836

Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills AUST