Color Classification

    I'm confused. When I see an iris described, I have only a very general
idea what the color is. When I register an iris, I color code it with the RHS
color chart, which gives me a certain number for the color. I see Larry Lauer
and Hal Stahly also use this system, which is available through the AIS.

    Neil Mogensen uses the HCC "Wilson" system with color classifications such
as "Royal Purple". What is Royal Purple?

    Keith Keppel uses the M&P system and terms like golden glow, dandelion
yellow, chrome yellow, rosy lilac, and peach buff. What are those colors? His
system does have numbered plates similar to the RHS system, but where do I get
those charts?

    I'd like to know sources for the charts of the various systems. Better yet
would be a standardizaton of color classification in AIS registration, but I
know this will never happen.

Jim Ennenga
Knoxville, TN, zone 7