Re: HYB tectorum crosses

Will,
I think the "dragon" you mentioned is probably my
tectorum/bearded hybrid ('Flying Dragon'). I wish I
could tell you which direction and what parents were
involved, but it would only be speculation. I can tell
you the following:
1) 'Paltec' is supposed to be a cross of Iris tectorum
with the old diploid bearded iris 'Edina'. I don't
recall ever seeing mention of the direction of the
cross. It has been noted as having a chromosome count
of 26. This would make sense -- with 'Edina'
contributing 12 (half of its 24) and Iris tectorum
contributing 14 (half of its 28). It has been sterile
for me so far, with quite a few different diploid
bearded pollens (even tried a SDB once).
2) 'Flying Dragon' has been just as sterile although
pollen from a 48 chromosome TB did make the pods hang
on longer than expected. I've got Iris City Gardens
growing 'Flying Dragon' for trial and (if all goes
well) eventual introduction. This hybrid germinated in
some reused potting soil, obviously from what I had
considered "failed" attempts at crossing bearded and
tectorum. I had spent several years trying crosses
both ways and using various bearded parents (diploid
and tetraploid) and had only managed to obtain a few
decent seeds. The only seed that germinated before I
reused the potting soil, was an obvious pure tectorum
that must have been the result of a stray pollen
grain.
The iris seedling that appeared later, in a pot full
of native violets, I had assumed was just a bearded
seedling but left it mature just out of curiosity.
Imagine my surprise when I saw the first bloom open.
It's very similar to 'Paltec' only larger in many
ways. You can see a bunch of pictures of 'Flying
Dragon' at the Yahoo Iris-species forum "Photos"
section (in a folder called Tom's Irises). In case,
you don't have access to that, I'll post one of them
to the Iris-photos forum.
3)Since I was encouraged by obtaining the one hybrid,
last season I tried many more crosses of this nature.
I'll warn you; it's not a path for the easily
discouraged. Most of the crosses have resulted in
aborted or balloon pods. Occassionally, however, I've
gotten a few partially developed seeds. So far, none
have germinated. Maybe I should reuse the potting soil
again ;o) . I definitely haven't given up.

Anyway, I'm glad to see I've got somebody else, who
wants to try to expand on this very small group of
fascinating irises. I'd recommend you just try
everything you can, in both directions. I'm not even
sure that 'Flying Dragon' didn't come from a
tetraploid bearded -- I guess only chromosome counts
would tell. Good luck to you, this spring. And let us
know when you have success. Tom