Re: REF: help - ideas?

In a message dated 1/19/05 9:55:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
GormleyGreenery@aol.com writes:

<< Linda, I think two of the topics you have lots of info on are 1) Seed
 germination and 2) frost/heaving protection.  Or even a light article about
living in
 the "Vale of Despair" and its unique challenges.>>

I think you should do something on companion plants. Especially any benefits
you have found other than aesthetic for growing them alonside your Irises,
living mulch, green manure, or whatever. And the aesthetic thing, too. Did you
ever try any of the more exotic mulleins?

<< 1. At least one beginner article every issue.   There are new people out
 there and they need our help.>>

Yes, and although it is unfashionable to say so, the not-so-beginners also
need something interesting to read occasionally, something with some real meat
and length to it. I don't suggest that all articles should be pitched to an
imagined least common denominator, or that any publication, regional or
otherwise, become ponderous and self-important, but I think that ideally there should
be a range in sophistication among the articles, with an occasional piece which
might admittedly be a stretch for some folks.

You see, it is not just a case of making the new Iris enthusiast feel welcome
and provide them with good information to help them succeed in their
gardening and grooming and showing and whatnot and such, it is also a matter of
keeping the old hands stimulated and engaged, and keeping a lot of interesting ideas
floating around generally, since interesting ideas tend to generate other
interesting ideas, and interesting activities may then follow.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA