Re: RE: HYB: Seed germination

I've seen a lot of comments on seed germination in the fall and loss over winter. Now I'll find out!! My 2003 crosses which did not germinate are now 3 to 6 inches high in the pots! They are outside, and I'm not doing anything with them. It was nine degrees above zero two nights ago.

Jim Ennenga
----- Original Message ----- From: "Linda Mann" <lmann@volfirst.net>
To: "iris- talk" <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 7:30 AM
Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: Seed germination

Thanks Colleen.

Like you, I refrigerate for 3 months.  But I've only seen seeds from one
cross start to germinate in those 3 months.  It was an SDB X TB last

Most of the crosses from cultivars that thrive (more or less) here seem
to take at least two chilling cycles to germinate.  Outcrossing to
Keppel/Ghio/Blyth lines seems to produce seeds that are more likely to
germinate after only one 3 month chill cycle.

Since a lot more seeds germinated after a second chilling cycle (out on
the unheated sun porch), I'm not sure how much difference leaving out
the pre-soak made.

Then there are those crosses that haven't germinated anything yet, in
spite of 3 months in the fridge, a month of warmth, and two more weeks
of chill.  They are going back outdoors to get frozen instead of just
chilled.  See if that makes any difference.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8