Re: REF: Colors, Descriptions, Confusions

----- Original Message ----- From: <ChatOWhitehall@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 12:13 PM
Subject: [iris] REF: Colors, Descriptions, Confusions

In a message dated 1/19/05 10:19:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

<< I agree with what Jim implies, but does not directly say, that if we all
used
the same system, had an AIS-prescribed "norm" for a system, we would have
some
advantage. >>

AIS has, of course, adopted various color charts "officially" at various
phases of its development. The first to be so adopted was the Ridgway chart,
"Color Standards and Color Nomenclature," of 1912, and many of the color names and
descriptions that appear in commercial catalogs and the AIS Bulletin in the
1920's and 1930's, especially those written by Robert Sturtevant, are not
fanciful poetic codswallop but precise information keyed to this chart. The Ridgway,
developed as a scientific chart, not a horticultural one per soe, contains
over 1000 color plates and is a collector's item now.

Then in 1949, upon the recommendation of its Registrar, Robert E. Allen, AIS
adopted the Wilson Chart, which was the precurser to the Royal Horticultural
Society color fans, which in their day, superceeded it, and were for some time
available from AIS. These, in the current edition, are the standard in the
horticultural world today, and are, like all good scientific tools, also
expensive. None of the useful color charts have ever been cheap, so concordances
between any of them are of limited utility.

<< This may sound like data over-load, but in the HIPS work, if such detailed
descriptions existed for grand historics, identification of varieties would
be vastly easier than what we have now--short, terse and very rough
generalizations of color in those older registrations. >>

Very highly detailed descriptions do indeed exist for the preponderance of
the better known historic irises, and these can be ordered from the Historic
Iris Preservation Society.

Detailed descriptions, written by Robert Sturtevant, were printed in several
issues of the Bulletin well into the 1930s, and they appeared in the Cornell
Bulletin 112 by Sand. Copious descriptions are found in the Historic Chronicles
on early hybridizers. There is no dearth of surviving descriptions, and many
of them are far more detailed than current AIS descriptions, which are, if
memory serves me well, provided by the hybridizer. Anyone wishing to obtain HIPS
publications should visit the HIPS page at www.worldiris.com and check out the
Sales area where Dorothy has provided highly useful descriptions of the
various Bulletins and what they contain.

Other highly useful descriptions are found in the Book ainbow Fragments, by
J. Marion Shull, which is far from obscure and not very expensive when one
finds it.

In short, if one returns to the period literature itself, it will be
immediately apparent that at no time was the brief coded color information in the
early AIS Check Lists intended to do anything other than meet its own clearly
stated goal, which was to denote a basic color group to point up obvious mixups of
cultivars occuring in shipping and similar situations.

I have been listening to stories about confusion about color charts and
confusions about AIS early Check Lists for years, and I have a couple of projects
now in the planning stages which are, I hope, going to enable fellow
enthusiasts of historic Irises make their way through the thicket of information on
these topics. One of these projects is anticipated to be a small publication
entitled "Making One's Peace with the Early AIS Check Lists: A Guide for the Deeply
Perplexed," which will have as its premise the French statement that "To
understand all is to forgive all."

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA