OT: Breathing New Life Into An Old Club

Patrick, one thing that some area groups or clubs have done is to place a
group order to Tempo Two, Barry, Leslie Blyth and family. I may be suggesting
something you all are already doing, but the potential in a group order is
exciting.  Keith Keppel does not appear to import all of what Blyth
introduces--there are many fascinating varieties available in Tempo Two's
recent catalog in addition to what Keith lists.

Last year I joined with Robin Shadlow's group and got MACHISMO, as it is one I
plan to use in my "purple to rose" project. I'm sure Keppel will be listing
this one, but I hoped to get bloom on it earlier.  It is still in the pot in
which I planted it a year ago in February with several increases.  I expect
bloom this year from it.  Barry ships in two seasons--February and April.  The
February dates would fit your area quite well, I would think.  The plants have
a summer on top of a summer, so may bloom quite out of season the first time.
Getting turned "upside down" and backwards in terms of season makes for a time
of confusion and adaptation for the plants.  Keith Keppel has said in his
catalog that some varieties adjust quickly, but others take a while to get the
cycles of growth and bloom in order for our climates.  Even so, the whole
endeavor is fun, then the members have lots of interesting things to trade
around as the plants increase.

I believe a group order like this has some real possibilities if it is not
something your club has already done

There are also the Pryors in Australia with very advanced quality
LA's--probably not the most easily grown types in your area. Taylor and
Grosvenor are breeders of high quality new beardeds, and Colleen Modra is also
a commercial grower (Impressive Irises) althought I have not yet investigated
to find out what she sells and if she introduces any new things of her own
breeding, an omission I intend to correct soon.

By placing a group order, the phtosanitary certificate has only to be paid
once.  The exchange rate with the Australian dollar is much to our advantage
unless it has changed significantly.  The prices end up being much lower per
rhizome than what is stated in Barry's catalog, even considering the air fare
for the shipment.

There are also Danish, French, German, Russian, Ukaranian, Checkoslavakian,
Hungarian and Italian producers of note--and even more.  Any of these might be
of interest, although I'm not sure how one would obtain catalogs.  I'm sure
their addresses are listed in the backs of the R&I's, and some of them post to

Snowpeak now carries and introduces to the American buyers the irises of
Bianco.  Keith Keppel carries Cayeaux's.  The others filter in slowly, but
these unusual sources undoubtedly include many irises of note

Just a thought and a suggestion if it is not already part of your

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains