Re: REF: help - ideas?

In a message dated 1/21/05 5:11:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

<< I've never believed the soil splash explanation though.>>

I don't like it either. It does not seem to jive with my experience, and I
generally don't favor explanations which make something natural and inevitable,
like routine rain, out to be a bad guy. Of course, Mother Nature loves her
crud spores, too.

<< I think dense weeds/grass provide some protection from late winter/early
 spring freeze damage (iris are shaded so are slower to initiate spring
 growth), are intense competitors for nitrogen, starving irises & keeping
 down lush growth [...] Unfortunately, those slower growing plants usually
don't bloom as wellas the rampant, lush, well tended ones.  Unless the exposed
ones get
 damaged by late freezes. >>

Well, that is a drag for sure . .On the Horns of a Dilemma in the Slough of
Despond; sounds like a country song. With apologies to Bunyan, of course.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA