Re: OT: NEEDS Breathing New Life Into An Old Club

In a message dated 1/23/05 10:33:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Oneofcultivars@aol.com writes:

<< To this end, adopting the AIS organization or attitudes as a model in
 either rules or actions is counter productive and should be avoided. >>

Mr. Burleson, you have written a long letter, obviously heartfelt and the
product of considerable cogitation. I do not intend personally to respond to many
of your ideas, other than to say that I do not concurr with some of your
analysis and several of your statements are, I believe, factually inaccurate. I
will say this, however, because I personally believe it is the single most
important thing to be remembered in the context of this conversation:

First, AIS consists of nothing but its members, there is no We and They, for
better or worse, there is only Us.

Second, AIS as an international organization, and and those local groups
which have embraced its mission via Affiliation, are defined by charter as devoted
to education and conservation. As such, their work, their resources, and
their services as you term them, are supposed to be directed OUTWARDS toward the
public at all times, and not solely inward toward the members. This is the
difference between a private recreational club, and an educational organization.

Registration to keep nomenclature straight, establishing firm rules that
ensure the best and most uniform Judging practices and most confidence-inspiring
Awards, stern rules for public Shows, the whole range of activity, is to make
available to the PUBLIC the best information, reflective of the best wisdom and
the highest standards that the Society can muster, and exhibit to them the
best Irises, well grown and shown to advantage.

Any group's strength arises from carrying forth its mission, and the mission
of AIS involves informed, committed, persistent, creative, and cheerful
outreach. Accordingly, the real question to ask about prospective members, is what
can the local group do for them, not what can they be persuaded to do for the
local group.  A group whose focus is largely inwards, which is predominantly
concerned with what it is getting from other members, including those working
for the group at the national level, is probably neglecting the true source of
its strength, and its duty.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA