Re: HYB: color patterns

Thanks Chuck.  It was more musing out loud rather than a proposal.  Your
great 'rant' about yellow plicatas (for future ref, I think that's over
in the photos archives) triggered the thought.

I'm really looking forward to doing more pigment extractions in spring,
& for starters, may try doing some warm alcohol soaks on intact petals
of white ground amoenas of whatever shades I have here.

Because the anthocyanins are so much easier to extract than the oil
based pigments (lycopene, carotenoids), especially with warm alcohol, it
may be at least possible to see if the distribution of the two types of
pigments is the same on an intact petal <if> (or maybe that should be a
big IF) I have any white ground amoenas that have both types of pigments
in the 'umbral' part of the fall.

Might be interesting to do the same with some of the yellow or pink
ground umbratas as well, just in case there is a difference in oil
soluble pigments "hidden" under the anthocyanin tinted umbral spot.

My ability to make the types of crosses you suggest is limited here in
the "vale of despair", at least until I get more diversity among my own
seedlings, those that are selected for not only survival, but reliable
fertility here.

<One way to research this involves looking at pictures where both
anthocyanin  and carotene is distributed in the same pattern. Then look
at parentage and see what patterns are there. Also look at offspring and
check again how the  oil based and water based pigments are distributed.
If you can demonstrate , at least to your own satisfaction, that they
are both controlled by the same underlying genetic factor then you
design a way to put it to the test.
                   You have an interesting proposal there but I  don't
see anything that would convince me at this point in time.  Do some more
reseach and see what you come up with.      Chuck Chapman>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8