To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] OT: NEEDS Breathing New Life Into An Old Club

In a message dated 1/23/05 7:33:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Oneofcultivars@aol.com writes:

It is not uncommon in even small clubs to hold "executive meetings"
from which the general membership is excluded. Or, see various committee
meetings called in the same way. While there can be no question such
meetings are a
necessity, always they should be open to any concerned member unless they
involve personnel matters (most of clubs have no employees about which to be

concerned) or those that involve pending liability in our litigious society
and we
have spy concerns. Elsewise, the sun should be shining.

Quite a letter. I was thinking of waiting for the condensed version to come
I liked several of the points made.
Myself, I wonder if the forum isn't replacing many of the traditional roles
of the club.
One point that I would like to comment on at this time is the above copied
portion of "executive meetings". My personal life experiences favor more
private meetings. They are shorter, more productive, and sometimes spare peoples
feelings. I feel that you put people in positions of responsibility whose
decisions as a whole you like, then you give them room to operate. Having every
decision you make second guessed will discourage all but the biggest egos from
accepting positions.

George Mason
Portland, Oregon