Re: HYB: pigments & structure

There is something going on with iris variagata and in the yellow/red/brown on white plicata that prevents either oil based or water based pigment from being expressed in some cells. We normally look at plicatas as the anthocyanin being placed in the veins. This interpretation doessn't fit when we look at the veins on Iris variagata or on the yellow and red/brown plicatas on white.
Another, and to me more likely explination, is that there is something in the flowers cells that are between the veins, that prevent either pigment from being present in them. I personnaly can't think of any other way to explain it as I can't conceive of any biochemistry effect from a genetic control that could explain this dual efect on both oil based and water based    pigments. The biochemical chaining in production of these pigments involves very different biochemisty.  Thus the idea that perhaps a structural difference could explain it. I've no idea what this would be like. Only a very wild and wooly hypothesis at this point.

Chuck Chapman

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:12:13 -0500
From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: pigments & structure

Chuck, you said you are still working on this, so you may not want to
say a lot more at this point, but I'm curious about what you mean by
"differences in cell structure"?

Do you mean differences like liver cells vs kidney cells (not really,
but...) as the flower primordia differentiate?  Mesophyll cells winding
up in the surface instead of as structural innards?  Or absence of
plastids...?  Or...?

<Currently I'm trying to find out if we can call on   a structural
explanation. That is a difference in the cell structure  that  somehow
prevents any pigment from being present. >

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.