Re: Re: HYB tectorum crosses

Dave and Walter,
I've thought along those lines too...about using
tetraploid TB with diploid tectorum and hoping for
unreduced tectorum gametes. Actually, I'm really
wondering now, about the ploidy of "Flying Dragon". It
very well could have been the result of one of the
tetraploid beardeds that I had tried. I've noticed
that it is significantly larger than 'Paltec' in
flower and foliage. I had figured it was either a
larger diploid hybrid (like 'Paltec' with 26
chromosomes) or possibly a triploid (with another 12
bearded chromosomes to give 38 total). I hadn't really
given it much thought that it could be a tetraploid
hybrid (or amphidiploid) with 52 chromosomes (28 from
unreduced tectorum and 24 from bearded). Counter to
this idea, it doesn't seem to produce much pollen, if
any. Is anyone out there who has the capability,
interested in counting the chromosomes of "Flying
Dragon"? Or would someone be able to give a crude
"kitchen" chromosome counting description? I have
access to fairly decent microscopes used for cell
culture work, but probably not the chemicals which I'm
imagining might be necessary.
http://my.yahoo.com