Re: OT: NEEDS Breathing New Life Into An Old Club

Bill, I read your long and very thoughtful letter and appreciate the care,
concern and even passion that entered in.  I do, however, want to join with
Anner W's comments to a degree and speak in defense of the AIS and its
leadership.

Out of my own experience with another type of organization that depends on
volunteers and those willing to work, I have observed that the great majority
of members are quite content to let the able and willing do the work of
keeping the social glue in place.  I'd say this is also true of the AIS.

You mention my own circumstances and the feeler I put out about reinstatement
as a judge.  What I actually did initially was to point to the relevant
paragraph in the *Handbook for Judges..." and ask for an interpretation, as a
lapse of twenty or so years is hardly what the writers had in mind.  I also
did indicate interest in resuming the role, and pointed out that I had met or
exceeded the fifteen year requirement for "master" status.  In addition I also
made it clear that this title and status did not exist at the time I was
appointed and served.

Thus I presented two problems to Dr. Epperson and to the Board of Directors.
They took my advance seriously, and, as is appropriate, generalized the issue.
What ever their ruling or consensus was to be, it was important that it be a
standard against which any question of the nature of mine be handled.  At a
meeting of the board, a consensus was reached and published--in that densely
packed fine print those of us in our "Golden" years do find rather a challenge
to read.

In a personal correspondence, Dr. Epperson described to me the steps I needed
to take that carried out the generalized rule.

The first condition to be met was a current three year continuous membership
in the society--a standard already in the *Handbook.*  I have met that
requirement.

Additionally, I would need five hours of Judge's training during a three year
period--which I certainly can use and enjoy, as my knowledge of other than
Tall Beardeds could use some radical upgrading.  There have been remarkable
changes in nearly all the categories and sections since I last was familiar
with them.

Thirdly,  I would need the written recommendation of five Judges in good
standing.  I don't forsee that as a stumbling block.

Let me add that there were board members present who know me, at least through
correspondence and telephone contact.  The board was not acting in a vacuum of
personal interest or response.

Since my physical conditon after serious illness has been eroded from what I
had to offer at the time of my first feeler, and my expectations of rapid
recovery since then not met, I am seriously thinking about dropping the
matter.  My ability to travel, or to carry out the kinds of responsibilities
of an active judge are not of the best order.  At least--they are not so yet.
Time will tell.

I very deeply appreciate the laudatory character of your remarks and say
"Thank you," both for your personal interest and concern, and for your concern
for the welfare of the Society as a whole.  I share your concern.

For the present, however, my contribution to the community of interest
centered on irises will be mostly at the computer and in the written word.
Anything beyond that may be rather difficult to undertake.

Following your own delightful signature, I too will say, "Smiling,"

Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains