Re: OT:NEEDS Breathing New Life Into An Old Club

In a message dated 1/25/05 1:23:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jbruce1@cinci.rr.com writes:

> The AIS does some things very well, some average and some could use
> improvement. Is there anyone out there who can truthfully say they run there
> own affairs any differently? I do wish there was a way AIS could better
> promote and educate from a national level. I would love to see the borer
> eradicated. I agree with Dorothy and think RVPs should play a greater role
> in shaping the society. The AIS gives guidelines to sponsor shows, provides
> a basis for judging the plant that is reviewed on a regular basis, provides
> a system of registration, donates some unding for scientific research and
> issues a nice quarterly bulletin, all for the low cost of 20$ per person per
> year. That is equivalent to four calorie laden, artery clogging Burger King
> Whopper value meals. If you have a lot of iris beds you MAY be able to work
> that off in an entire season. We love irises, but at the end of the day,
> just remember it's just a flower. There are bigger issues in the world
> deserving of emotion and debate.

John, I usually manage to refrain from "Me, too" messages, but there is no
way I could have said this better. You have presented the case in a nutshell.
Many thanks!

 (A special thanks for the Whopper value meal comparison!  I love those
things and we all know what a number they can do on our bodies!

Dorothy Stiefel  (the other Dorothy)
Spencer, NY Reg.2
Life member, AIS
President, Southern Tier Iris Society
NE Director and Publications Sale Chair, HIPS