Re: OT:NEEDS Breathing New Life Into An Old Club

Extremely well put, John.

Jim Ennenga
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Bruce" <jbruce1@cinci.rr.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 1:20 AM
Subject: Re: [iris] OT:NEEDS Breathing New Life Into An Old Club

I pretty much try not to weigh in on the topic of AIS.

That said, I just have to put in my two cents worth. This topic rolls around
once or twice each year,
and I have been a member of this list for almost as long as it has been in
existence. I have been a member
of AIS for at least seven years, although my dues are late as we speak. I
have also been involved at the
local club level as an officer for several years and am thankfully past that
now. I am not a lover of
beurocracy, red tape or committees, although they do serve their purposes. I
enjoy the Bulletin, and
would almost certainly enjoy the annual convention should I ever get the
oppurtunity to attend. I know a lot
of AIS members and several past and present officers at all levels. I find
most to be nice, agreeable and hardworking
folks who donate their time to projects to further the goals of the society.
I have also met a few utterly disagreeable folks within the group, but they
are a vast minority. (Some of them probably find me just as disagreeable.)

Some AIS folks may be thin skinned, and quick and passionate to defend the
organization. However, I usually see this in response to criticisms leveled
at AIS by folks who have never been members at the national level or in some
cases at even the local level. They are harping on points brought up on this
list which are sometimes one sided, or even worse issues they have heard
friends talking about. Some of the broadest and harshest criticisms I have
seen
posted here about the AIS over the years have been by folks that fit in this
category. I agree that defensiveness does not lead to open-mindedness, but
neither does uninformed and sometimes baseless criticism.

The AIS does some things very well, some average and some could use
improvement. Is there anyone out there who can truthfully say they run there
own affairs any differently? I do wish there was a way AIS could better
promote and educate from a national level. I would love to see the borer
eradicated. I agree with Dorothy and think RVPs should play a greater role
in shaping the society. The AIS gives guidelines to sponsor shows, provides
a basis for judging the plant that is reviewed on a regular basis, provides
a system of registration, donates some unding for scientific research and
issues a nice quarterly bulletin, all for the low cost of 20$ per person per
year. That is equivalent to four calorie laden, artery clogging Burger King
Whopper value meals. If you have a lot of iris beds you MAY be able to work
that off in an entire season. We love irises, but at the end of the day,
just remember it's just a flower. There are bigger issues in the world
deserving of emotion and debate.

John Bruce
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Wells" <wells@train.missouri.org>
I've lurked on this list for years, but seldom post. Have never been a
member of AIS, so have no ax to grind either way. I must say, though,
from an outsider's view, that the AIS folks seem to have pretty thin
skins... ;-)

A little less defensiveness would engender a more palatable impression
to outsiders, methinks...