Re: AIS: OT: Group Dynamics [was: NEEDS....]

Anner is correct. Both iris@hort (previously iris-talk@yahoogroups.com) and iris-photos@yahoogroups.com are absolutely independant of the AIS and technically owned by me. Originally started in Feb 1996 by Mike Lowe and Tom Tadford Little and through a chain of events too long to go into, ended up as mine.

Both groups are open to anyone and, in fact, you don't have to be a member to use the archives.

It is also true that I am a Director on the AIS Board and chair of the Electronic Services committee responsible for among other things the online iris database at: www.irisregister.com

When I comment on the list I try to be clear when I am speaking as a board member (rarely) and when I am not.

I like to think that I have been as least somewhat effective is moving the AIS more into the electronic world and getting more of their information available electronically.

For instance, recently we instituted a mailing list that allows anyone to send messages that are then distribute to the AIS Board, the committee chairs, the section presidents, and the RVPs? Only subscribers to the list (which is restricted to the above listed individuals) receive the email, but the message archives are open to the public. The Board also uses this list for discussions via email in between Board meetings.

to send a message, address it to: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org

Archives at: www.aisboard.org

You can also view the archives of the list used for email voting at:

(but of course you can't send messages to that list) : >))