OT:NEEDS Breathing New Life Into An Old Club

I want to tell you how AIS helped me and why I belong. I had a friend who gave me my first iris but he died shortly afterward and he lived quite some distance from me. I lived in areas where there was no Iris Club and where no other person was interested in growing iris until they saw mine so no one was available to help me and no computer or Iris List. I went to the public library to look for information about iris. There was one book by Rockwell about gardening in general and that did not seem to help me much. The librarian was a friend and she helped me in my search and found AIS listed in the file. I contacted them and became a member. I ordered the booklet which told me how to grow iris and I ordered The World of Iris. I was so excited each time the bulletin came and read every scrap of information in it. If it had not been for AIS I would not have had a list of the growers who offered catalogs nor would I have known how and when to separate iris and how to grow healthy iris. I was able to give friends starts of my iris and tell them how to grow them. It was not until I retired and moved to my present home that I was able to join an Iris Club and share iris information about growing iris in my area, discuss iris with friends and become involved in iris projects. I had been involved in growing iris other than TBs prior to moving here and had discovered groups on the internet that were iris lovers but actually joining our club was one of the most delightful things I have done. Some club members belong to AIS and some do not for reasons of their own but we are able to have have an iris show with liability insurance provided because of AIS, we can attend conventions because of AIS, we can meet wonderful people like all of you who may or may not belong to AIS but whom we may not have ever met if it were not for AIS. I could not become an acredited judge if I were not a member of AIS. Sometimes I wish there were more articles about iris other than TBs in the bulletin but that is changing and I joined many of the other iris groups so that I could learn more about iris such as spurias, siberians and medians. I found out about them through AIS.

I am not trying to encourage or discourage joining AIS, I just want to be sure you are all aware of benefits that I derived from it.
I think I have wandered far from the topic of Breathing New Life Into An Old Club haven't I?

Patti
USDA Zone 5