Re: OT AIS membership local promotion

I think Neil's ideas are good. We could add Iris shows to promotional events with maybe a free iris if you join a local club. I wonder what proportion of the affiliated clubs have shows?

Neil A Mogensen <neilm@charter.net> wrote:In response to Robt. Pries' suggestion of setting forth concrete proposals, I
offer the following:

J I Jones commented that the life and vitality of the AIS rests ultimately in
the local groups. This is where the AIS is visible, concrete and most
(potentially) responsive.

What if local groups dedicated part of the annual budget to advertising, to
disemination of information? Perhaps this could take place in such as County
or State Fairs, other community celebrations with large gatherings and the
like--and have personable, informed members of the AIS present to encourage
interest, offer membership application materials (most especially the
Membership Secty's address) and perhaps have a few catalogs and even some iris
rhizomes for give-away gifts of good will and encouragement.

There's nothing so seductive as having a NAMED iris to grow and enjoy. I'd be
happy to donate some of my excesses (when I have them) to such a local
endeavor. I'm sure many other growers and hybridizers would do the same.

At the present I don't have the excess I mentioned for a number of
reasons--but ordinarily I end up the season with discarding a lot of very good
stock as I simply do not have room for replanting them. Irises, at least many
of them, increase exuberantly when well fed and well cared for.

Neil Mogensen z 7 western NC mountains