Re: OT AIS membership

In a message dated 1/25/2005 3:17:36 PM Central Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

> Bill; Since the conventions have been planned around tall-bearded bloom
> season are you suggesting that we could have a convention without garden tours
> and guest irises?

Of course! (laughin'). No, not at all, Robert. We have a youth market and a
care giver market that deserving of contemplation. It should be possible
without a tremendous amout of work to cross reference spring break dates (grammar
schools) with population density maps. The dates from a quick check showed then
to range from about late March until early May for grammar schools.

Iris bloom is predictable within only a couple of weeks. If the projected
bloom date is within' a week or so either way advantage comes from choosing one
near school breaks for larger population densities.

Taking this a step further, if a collaboration is possible between the AIS
(through affiliated clubs perhaps) and what are primary tourist destination
sites in the general area, recriprocal promotion will be to mutual advantage.
There are many people that have never heard of the Columbia River Gorge. As an
organization seeking members we do not care if we are the primary or the
secondary destination. Or even how long they visit though we might have a preferance.
We just want to touch 'em. We seek the asset itself.

Smiles,
Bill Burleson