Re: OT AIS membership

Joyce, this is really good news.  I am very glad you posted your comments, as
people who may have overlooked the bulletin material may see it here.

This list has a rather large readership, even if most of those are mainly
silent.  We active talkers have a disproportionate share of the space this
forum provides.

I'm going to see if any of our local Carolina Mountains Iris Society (an
affiliate of Region 4) might be interested in something by way of a booth at
either the Western NC State Fair, or the apple festival in Hendersonville.
Both events draw very large crowds.

I've offered to present a program using some of Char Holte's many photos from
the Fresno convention.  We're in the process of finding whether we can
assemble the necessary computer and monitor requirements to present Char's
excellent work.  Hopefully this will encourage the able to attend the
National, especially when it is not so far away.  St. Louis is not impossibly
far from us, for example.  Hopefully some of our local folks will be there.

Most of our members are either very up in years, or worked to the bone.  Our
present president is a Master Gardener, rather young and not afraid of
something new.

As a measure of the vitality of our group, I might comment that various
members specialize in Siberians, Aril and Arilbred irises, JI's and a few of
us are primarily TB growers.  I think I am the only one in the group actively
hybridizing, but others work hard at putting on our two annual shows, one for
JI's in June, and the other including a broad range of types in May, then in
August an auction and sale that includes the wide variety of classes of irises
that can be grown here including versicolors, JI's in pots, La's, TB's and
whatever else arrives.

Like in most groups, a few work very hard, a number contribute as they can,
and some just enjoy the fellowship the group affords.  We just need to be a
larger group.

Thank you for your very hard work!

Neil Mogensen   z 7 western NC mountains