Re: Re: OT AIS membership (Join us!)

In a message dated 1/26/2005 8:32:51 AM Central Standard Time,
tesilvers@yahoo.com writes:

> With those thoughts in mind, I'm thinking of gift
> certificates (for irises) and gift memberships (to the
> AIS) for a few people who I think already have the
> makings of iris-lovers.

I think this a superb suggestion! I considered sending this to you off list
for two reasons. First, I am feeling I talk beyond people's willingness to
listen when issues for which I have interest and concern cross my computer.

The other reason is that you are in an age group that we particularly need to
in the AIS. Our membership has declined from about 12,000 in the 70's to
below 6,000 now (both these numbers are from memory but are close). As membership
has declined the average age of those of us remaining as members has increased
and lies perhaps into the senior citizen range or will soon be.

More precisely, your input is of particular interest and value to me because
of the age group you represent. I hope and expect it is for others.

Would you consider a membership in Old South Iris Society? We are AIS
affiliated. Your first year will be free. We have over time been able to decrease
dues. I expect them to be a dollar by your second year (90% decrease). It may be
that you abide too far away to attend meetings. Worry not. You will receive
meeting notices and if you find yourself in this part of the world (perhaps you
would like to visit the birth place of Elvis or the Natchez Trace Parkway),
newsletter via email, and updates on the club's events and actions. You will
receive a copy of our membership book about mid year. You will be afforded the
opportunity to vote on all matters of consequence. You will be treated with
equality in every respect. And, certainly in some instances you will find your
input valued above all others based on merit. You are invited to participate in
events/meetings of your choosing. Learn what Southern hospitality really means.
Join us!

As a point in passin', OSIS has a slogan, "Join us!". I spect the AIS might
make use of a similar one.
Bill Burleson