Re: Re: HYB: pigments & structure

Genes concist of an activater stretch of DNS and a coding stretch of DNA.

The coding part is only turned on and used if the activater part has whatever it needs attached to activate it.  Sometimes one activater stretch controles two or more coding stretches so they go on together..  Sometimes two or more activater stretches are activated by the same chemical, so they go on together.
All I am proposing is that just as both types color pigments are turned on in the flower, and not everywhere in the plant, so could what turns the pigments in general on in the fower can mutate the same as any other DNA.
Obviously, while the iris in general can make pigments in the flower, there are additional switches that do finer controling of on and off to controle pigments within the flower.
The picture of the chimera suprized me.  I would not have expected the anthocyanins and caratenoids to be simultaniously controled at a more advaced point than just flower, non-flower.  Looks like they are also simultaniously controled at the vein, non-vein level.
Walter

irischapman@netscape.net wrote:
All the genetic controls are inacted at some point through control of a biochemical production. The production of anthocyanin pigment is a 20 something chain. Nor sure what it is for the cartenoid chain. It requires any one of these steps to not function in order to turn off the production. the biochemistry of oil based and water based pigments don't have any biochemicals in common. The didtribution of anthocyanin pigment into certain aareas and not others reqiress localized turn off of production in certain flower parts. The common distributions requires some biochemical action that effects both pigments turning off at the same locations. This is what makes me thing of something that afects the cells in some way. The flower is stll white between the veins, not transparent, so the pseudobase anthocyanins are still present there in order to give the appearance of white. I can't conceive of any mutual chemical that can do this unless it is has some effect on the cell.
Certanly a puzzle. I don't know of anything similar in any other type of flower.

Chuck Chapman