HYB: pigment development, freeze damage

Rummaging around in some old AIS Bulletins, I ran across this:

"Apparently, some of the stalks had begun to form deep inside the fans
when the frosts hit which resulted in stalks that had no observable
difference in external appearance, but did contain blooms with an
incomplete array of pigments.  These stalks were sterile..."

There were differences in pigments from 8 "sterile" (flowers did not set
pods) stalks of VANITY compared to 3 fertile stalks of VANITY from the
same garden.

From "Pigment Printing" by David L. Merrill, Virginia, Bull 286, July
1992, pages 53-55.

Not exactly the topic I thought I was learning about (chromatography and
pigment extraction), but certainly fits with my observation of lack of
pod set in my own frost prone garden.

The article says that some blooms (which included more than just VANITY)
in the study were from the same stalks, some from different stalks, but
it doesn't say if the 8 "sterile" blooms were from the same clump as the
fertile ones.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8